[Insight-users] Encapsulating Dicom Tag

Tim Allman dr.tim.allman at gmail.com
Tue Jul 2 10:26:31 EDT 2013

I have been trying unsuccessfully to insert Dicom Tag (0020,0037) Image
Orientation Patient into a Dicom file. The value is an array of six
floating point numbers which describe the orientation of the patient.
The NRRD reader correctly imports this information as it appears as the
first two columns of the Direction of the 3D image. My question is how
do I properly encapsulate this information so that I can insert it into
the MetaDataDictionary? Various attempts such as

     itk::EncapsulateMetaData<std::string>(dictionary, "0020|0037",
std::string("0\\1\\0\\0\\0\\-1"));

have failed to get my Dicom viewer (OsiriX) to read it properly (well,
actually, at all). All of my other tags are just strings and they are
working fine.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks,
Tim