[Insight-users] Does anyone actually use Visual Studio with ITK?

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 13:10:21 EDT 2012

> I've been about out of my mind trying to fix problems with a new feature I'm
> preparing for ITK, getting the Windows build to work.  I have a list of
> complaints for Visual Studio 2010:
>
> 1. Builds take 4 to 5 times as long as OS X builds on comparable hardware.
> 2. Even when a build is finished, Visual Studio 2010 is very sluggish.  I
> end up killing the Visual studio process.

For large solutions that have 100s projects like ITK I avoid the GUI
(which is slow when you have many source files) and build from the
command line using

cmake --build

or msbuild

> 3. At least on Linux/OS X I can understand the Makefiles and look at them to
> diagnose problems with build configuration.
>
> If you're using Visual Studio, and have any ideas how it can be actually
> practical for building/testing ITK, please tell me how you make it work for
> you.  Thanks in advance?

I use ITK with Visual Studio 2010. I can not comment on the build time
for ITK itself (I build that in a superbuild project) however building
applications with ITK4 seems to take much longer than ITK 3.20.1 even
on systems with SSD and ram disks. This may have to do with the
increased amount of include folders in ITK. I have not solved that. I
used to build configurations in parallel meaning spawn a cmake --build
mybuildfolder --config myconfig for each config however this seems to
not help much even though all the 12 threads of my CPU are not being
anywhere near fully used.

John