[Insight-users] Non-planar slicing

Bradley Lowekamp blowekamp at mail.nih.gov
Fri Jun 8 08:00:38 EDT 2012

Hello,

I have not done this myself, but I have an idea on what may work.

The ResampleImageFilter is really quite generic, and flexible so this is likely the right track. While I don't think it can go from 3D to 2D you can go from 3D to a single slice. Then you can jump through the hoop of extracting a slice into a 2D image.

What you are missing to use the resample filter this way is the correct Transform. While you could use a deformation field, or a b-spline, your description of conical shapes
mays me think that you may be better off defining you one implicit transform.

I hope this helps.

Brad

On Jun 7, 2012, at 2:08 PM, sgfallows wrote:

> I need to extract a 2D image from a 3D data set by what I would call
> non-planar slicing. Imagine a sheet of paper curled into a parabola or
> half-ellipse, in the middle of a 3D volume. I want to extract the points on
> the sheet of paper into a flat 2D image. (If there is a better/standard term
> for this, please correct me). The curve would be defined by a poly-line or
> Bezier.
>
> AFAICT, the closest thing in ITK is ResampleImageFilter(), however I'm
> having trouble figuring out what the transform would be. All the examples
> seem to map 3D to 3D. Or is this the wrong approach to begin with?
>
> Can anyone point me at something similar?
>
> --

> http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK_FAQ

Bradley Lowekamp
Medical Science and Computing for