[Insight-users] release multiplatform ITK-based applications

Mauro Maiorca mauromaiorca at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 02:57:07 EDT 2012

Hello ITK Users,

I have developed some algorithms that need to be released into an easy
accessible format meant to appeal to a biological audience.

So far my approach was to release the source code and ask the users to
compile it after installing ITK and other libraries. Unfortunately,
this can no longer apply. The idea is to provide the users with the
executables without asking extra additional tasks, even without asking
to install ITK on their own machine. I need to figure out the easiest
way to cope with the technical-skill limits of my new audience, and to
quickly acquire myself the skill of releasing easy executable software
built using ITK.

I'm sure I'm not the first one (neither the last one) having this sort
of "issue". I've even seen people rewriting their code into popular
user-oriented multiplatform environments (i.e. imageJ, Fiji, matlab,
etc) the user might have some experience with. I'm wondering how you
guys cope with it? Any opinion? Trick? Hint? Experience to share?
Useful links? Any step-by-step guide of how to build
technophobic-friendly multiplatform applications using ITK? Do you
guys have some special tools (i.e. virtual machines, etc)? If
positive, are those tools publicly available? Do you guys use publicly
available pre-compiled libraries or do you build all the libraries by
your own?

cheers,
Mauro