[Insight-users] ITK Thin Plate Spline transform reading and writing

Mathieu De Craene mathieu.decraene at upf.edu
Fri Sep 9 06:23:53 EDT 2011

I have a question regarding the write/read mechanism of
an itkThinPlateSplineKernelTransform.

It seems to me that when writing and then reading any ITK transformation
using itkTransformFileWriter and itkTransformFileReader,
one should be able to use the transformation loaded from the input file
without having to call any further computation.

In the case of the thin plate spline transformation, this implies that the
Set/GetFixedParameters should, on top of saving the landmarks positions,
also save the matrices that are used for transforming a point.

I am not very familiar with the thin plate spline computation, but I believe
the following matrices/vector are not properly initialized when reading this
transform using the standard I/O
mechanism: m_LMatrix, m_KMatrix, m_PMatrix, m_YMatrix, m_WMatrix,
m_DMatrix, m_AMatrix, m_BVector.

Having to call ComputeWMatrix every time the transformation is loaded from a
file is computationally expensive.

Is this analysis correct?
In the affirmative, is there some hope to modify the
Set/GetFixedParameters() method for saving all internal matrices
of itkThinPlateSplineKernelTransform?

Thanks

Math

--