[Insight-users] Texture features calculation problem

Salma Bengali salmabengali at ymail.com
Tue May 3 21:53:57 EDT 2011

Hi,

I'm using the ScalarImageToCooccurrenceMatrixFilter to calculate the GLCM from a
2D image, and want to extend it to 3D as well. I haven't been able to find any
good examples on how to use this class, so I've coded using what I could
understand from the description and old tests.

When I run my program on a small 2D image, I get a histogram with no data in it.
Can someone please provide some pointers on how to proceed with this? Any help
would be much appreciated. I have provided the main part of my code below.

Thanks in advance.

typedef float PixelType_in;
typedef float RealType;

typedef itk::NumericTraits < PixelType_in >::RealType     MeasurementType;

typedef itk::Statistics::Histogram< MeasurementType,
itk::Statistics::DenseFrequencyContainer2 > HistogramType;

  typedef itk::Statistics::ScalarImageToCooccurrenceMatrixFilter
<InputImageType,

                                  itk::Statistics::DenseFrequencyContainer2 >
                                       CooccurrenceMatrixFilterType;

  CooccurrenceMatrixFilterType::Pointer cooccurrenceFilter =
CooccurrenceMatrixFilterType::New();

  reader->Update();
  cooccurrenceFilter->SetInput(reader->GetOutput() );

  //Set the histogram parameters
  cooccurrenceFilter->SetNumberOfBinsPerAxis( 256 );
  cooccurrenceFilter->SetPixelValueMinMax(-0.5,255.5);
  //Get output and assign to histogram pointer
  const HistogramType *histogram = cooccurrenceFilter->GetOutput();

  HistogramType::SizeType size ;

  size = histogram->GetSize();
  std::cout << "Histogram size =  " << size << std::endl;    //The size is
displaying as null

  Salma Bengali
  Graduate Student
  University of Iowa