[Insight-users] Viewing of 3D image data on object data with paraview

Richard Beare richard.beare at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 00:55:19 EST 2011

Hi,
I asked a related question a couple of years ago but never found a
good answer. I need to revisit it now.

I'd like to view image data plus track data in paraview. The track
data is produced as list of points in world coordinates. I can convert
these to vtk objects and load them.

My problem is viewing the image data so that it is placed correctly
relative to the tracks. The transformations in the image header can be
used in ITK to locate voxel values at then ends of tracks, so I think
they are set correctly, however they appear to be ignored by paraview.
My very rough check was to use the ruler to determine the coordinates
of image corners. One of these was zero, so the header information was
being ignored, as the origin was somewhere near the brain image
centre.

One option appears to be to convert the transformation information
from the image header to the transform array in the image Display
panel, which is a bit tedious. I'm wondering whether there are 3D
image formats that can be viewed using volume rendering in paraview
that might do this automatically. So far I've been using mha files
created using the ITK too ConvertBetweenImageFormats from nifti.

Alternatively, does anyone have some other procedure for viewing
combinations of image and mesh/line objects in paraview?