[Insight-users] Need some advise

Nuno Barros nunopbarros at gmail.com
Sun Feb 20 08:22:07 EST 2011

Hi,

I need some advise.

I'm used to work with MATLAB in medical image processing but, in order to
produce software applications capable of being introduced in a clinical
environment I want to move to something more professional. The solution
should gather:

-speed
-good documentation (I need to be able to learn by myself and found
solutions for the problems that may occur)
-flexibility for development of image processing functions
-DICOM reader
-GUI development tools

I think I should use ITK, VTK and Qt, but I don't know what's the best
solution to mix these libraries. I heard of different options and I want to
know your opinion:

- Should I build these libraries to write the program in Qt creator or in
VS? (I was trying to build ITK with cmake using msys to go for the first
solution (Qt creator) but I did not succeed)

- MITK is a good solution?

- Should I add other libraries like gdcm or dcmtk for DICOM reading? If yes,
which one?

- Should I use Tcl to simplify coding in VTK, or this will turn things even
more complicated?

I'm really confused because I see a lot of solutions and I don't want to
take an option now that may lead me to a dead end.

I don't if it helps but I'm working with Win7 x64 and VS10.

Thanks, Nuno