[Insight-users] possible bug in itkScalarSinglePhaseSparse2DTest.cxx

Juan Cardelino juan.cardelino at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 15:21:35 EDT 2011

Dear all,
           I'm using the Chan and Vese segmentation method and I am
currently testing ITK's implementation. The code in the review folder
works in the provided example and also with my images, but I'm
experiencing a strange behaviour: it seems that it gives always the
same results regardless of some of the input parameters given. Namely,
changing the following parameters (in the sparse version) doesn't
affect the result at all:
  double curvature_weight = 0.;
  double reinitialization_weight = 0.;
  double l1 = 1.;
  double l2 = 1.;
In my tests, I've changed the curvature weight to higher values, to
get a smoother contour, but the result does not change (diff'ing the
images gives 0 differences). In addition, I've tried with the
reinitialization weight and without any luck.
Thinking it twice it seems reasonable, because in a narrow band
approach you won't use a reinitialization term. In addition, the
curvature term seems redundant with the area and volumen
regularization terms. I tried to find out the explanation of these
parameters, but the Insight Journal Submission has different names for
them.
So, can someone clarify on these points and tell me the difference
between the length regularization and the curvature term? I thought
the should be the same, but they have different parameters.
Thanks in advance.
Best regards,
                   Juan