[Insight-users] Image Directions

paniwani paniwani at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 16:33:27 EDT 2011

I have a few questions about orienting images. I have several CT datasets
both prone and supine. In order to do some colon segmentation I reorient so
that the lung is closest to slice 0 and the spine is at the top of the
image. This is done using the orient image filter in ITK with the
ITK_COORDINATE_ORIENTATION_LAI code.

Does changing this orientation directly change the image direction cosines?
Are spatial orientation codes and direction cosines just two ways of saying
the same thing?

If after orienting the image in this way, I want to allocate new helper
images, should I set their directions to the input's direction? Is the
default image direction of an allocated image the identity matrix?

Thanks in advance.

Neil