[Insight-users] ITK4 ImageToVTKImageFilter improvements?

Dženan Zukić dzenanz at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 10:24:23 EDT 2011

Hi ITK programmers!

ITK wiki <http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK> states "a beta of ITK4 will be
available by the end of March 2011". Could you please update that info
(since it is no longer true).

And a question: do you plan to fix itk::ImageToVTKImageFilter so it works
properly, i.e. physical coordinates in ITK and world coordinates in VTK are
equal, if you haven't done so already?

Problem example: I load a dataset using ITK readers, apply some filters to
it (denoising, rescaling), pass it through ImageToVTKImageFilter and add it
into the scene using vtkGPUVolumeRayCastMapper. I also do segmentation using
ITK's physical coordinates, create polygonal meshes of segmented objects,
also add them to the scene and behold: they are in completely different
places (if ITK_IMAGE_BEHAVES_AS_ORIENTED_IMAGE is set to TRUE)!

The workaround is to set ITK_IMAGE_BEHAVES_AS_ORIENTED_IMAGE to FALSE, but
then real image orientation is lost (I don't need it yet but I plan to use
it).

This problem would be understandable if ITK and VTK were made by 2 different
companies (but it is not the case).

Regards,
Dženan