[Insight-users] OPEN ACCESS: Economics

Stuart Golodetz itk at gxstudios.net
Thu Sep 30 17:26:35 EDT 2010

Luis Ibanez wrote:

> "Why academics, for example, are wiling to accept the bizarre
>  system in which they contribute to peer review journals for free,
>  sometimes even paying a publication fee, and then have their
>  institutions buy this work back from the printers at exorbitant
>  rates remains a mystery"
>

>                                                      Yochai Benkler

I'd always thought the idea was that journals perceived as "prestigious"
could get away with charging academics to publish their papers because
having published papers is of benefit to the academics concerned in
terms of their career prospects (essentially a case of short-term pain
for long-term gain, as far as academics are concerned). Strikes me as
being a daft way of going about things, but there it is. Are there other
reasons I'm missing? :)

Cheers,
Stu