[Insight-users] Registration of Slices

Shekhar Chandra Shekhar.Chandra at monash.edu
Mon Sep 6 22:36:24 EDT 2010

  Hi Everyone,

I'm a VTK user who is new to ITK. In my current project I have to
register a stack or series of Micro CT images, which will be used to
reconstruct some biological samples.

Via ITK I have worked out how to load the series (using the ImageSeries
class, Multi-page TIFFs or MRC files). Traverse and filter (if
necessary) the slices (using ImageSliceConstIteratorWithIndex and
JoinSeriesImageFilter, as well as the itkSliceBySliceImageFilter). I put
some of this on my blog for reference for those that are interested.
<http://l3mmings.blogspot.com/2010/08/slices-stacks-and-itk.html>

The problem I have is that registering the slices give me barely
adequate results. I went about it by using the Multi-res example and
Software Guide.

I make the first slice the fixed image and treat the next slice as the
moving image. I transform/resample the moving image after registering it
and make it the next fixed image. The next slice is then the moving
image. I realise that the error in registration propagates using this
method. Is this the best way to register slices?

On one post, it was suggested that one could use a sliding window (e.g.
register slice before and after with fixed slice), but it was not
mentioned how to do this. Has someone solved this problem or encountered it?

I know the parameters for registration are data dependent and have to be
found. But when exploring a metric with a slice (as per Exploring a
Metric example), it takes a while to compute even for -50 to 50 pixel
translations for small images (300x300, few minutes for MeanSquares on a
Core2duo with Optimised Registration methods). Is this normal?

Finally, what is the best way to do very coarse alignment in ITK? Center
of Gravity sounds good, but it has rotations (because of the
CenteredRigid2DTransform) and I do not need rotations.

Searching the web has not yielded any further help. Any suggestion or
advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Shakes