[Insight-users] OPEN DATA: Draft position statement on open data

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Mon Sep 6 11:13:25 EDT 2010

http://blogs.openaccesscentral.com/blogs/bmcblog/entry/join_the_data_debate_draft

BioMed Central supports the goals of the Panton
Principles<http://pantonprinciples.org/>for Open Data in Science but
putting them into practice needs to be done in
careful consultation with the scientific community to ensure that
researchers still receive appropriate credit for their contributions.

Rather than restricting access to data through restrictive licensing terms,
cultural norms need to be defined for the assignment of credit, priority
with respect to initial publication and the determination of reasonable
embargo periods. Fields such as astronomy, economics and genomics have
already made significant progress in this direction.

BioMed Central has drafted a position
statement<http://blogs.openaccesscentral.com/blogs/bmcblog/resource/opendatastatementdraft.pdf>on
data sharing, open data and licensing, and we invite the wider
scientific
community to join the discussion to help us define an explicit open data
licensing policy going forwards.

http://blogs.openaccesscentral.com/blogs/bmcblog/resource/opendatastatementdraft.pdf

The statement discusses what we see as “the Five
Ws<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Ws>”
for open data, which includes a proposal that, from a specific date, any
author submitting to a BioMed Central journal would agree to dedicate the
data elements of their article and supplementary material to the public
domain and apply an open data conformant
licence<http://www.opendefinition.org/licenses/>,
such as Creative Commons
CC0<http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/>.

We invite the scientific and publishing community to join us in defining the
optimum way to put the Panton Principles into practice. Comment publicly on
the draft statement by using the comment
function<http://blogs.openaccesscentral.com/blogs/bmcblog/entry/join_the_data_debate_draft#comments>on
this blog. Alternatively, contact
us <researchnotes at biomedcentral.com> to get involved.

Draft: