[Insight-users] contribute to ITK

Alexandre GOUAILLARD agouaillard at gmail.com
Sat Sep 4 15:17:34 EDT 2010

hi yixun,

the process is described here:
http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK_Procedure_for_Contributing_New_Classes_and_Algorithms

You might want to first put your code with an accompanying paper on
the Insight Journal to make it easily available to everyone. Then
people can go and take a look at your implementation and give feedback
on it, including answers to the legitimate questions you asked in your
e-mail. One thing you should check about your code is: who is the
copyright owner (and would he/she/it be ok to either relinquish the
copyright or to distribute the code under a BSD-compliant licence).
That is one of the condition for the code to be able to go from IJ to
ITK.

Speaking about libraries dependencies, three hard conditions for
entertaining the idea of integrating third libraries into ITK are:
- licence compatibility
- platform support (it should compile on all the platforms with all
the compilers that ITK support)
- size

If your code depend on 3rd party library that cannot find their way
in, there's hope. You can have conditional compilation using a CMAKE
flag, or you could be integrated in itk Applications.

regards,

alex.