[Insight-users] How and what the direction of image effect the registration result in ITK

Xi LIANG liangxi1986317 at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 15 04:17:25 EST 2010

Dear all,
I am using a software Elastix developed based on ITK, which asks for using identity direction cosine matrix to run the constraint Nonrigid registration properly. This means I will have to change the direction in all the original images. I got two suggestion on the direction issue.
In a related post, Luis suggests that
BTW: changing the direction of a medical image can
be a dangerous thing to do. You should make sure
that you have a good justification for replacing the
direction of the original image.
However, another ITK user suggest me to make sure all images have identity direction matrix before doing any further process. Therefore I am a little bit confused here. I assume Luis and the other user concern different issues.I am not sure the meaning of the last sentence from Luis, what kind of issues I need to worry to get a good justification for replacing the direction of the original images.In order to decide whether to change the direction of the original images, I would like to know how and what the direction matrix would effect the registration result in ITK.
Kind regards,
Xi Liang

梁茜