[Insight-users] ZEISS Microscopy image file support

Gaëtan Lehmann gaetan.lehmann at jouy.inra.fr
Tue Aug 31 09:57:45 EDT 2010

Hi,

You can use bioformats, which is a very capable tool to read many
microscopy formats.
A C++ binding has been developed recently, but I'm not sure that it
keeps the spacing - there was a problem on some systems IIRC.

   http://www.loci.wisc.edu/software/bio-formats
   http://www.farsight-toolkit.org/wiki/FARSIGHT_Tutorials/Building_Software/Bio-Formats/Building_ITK_Plugin

We have used bioformats to convert the image to tif, then read the tif
with a standard ITK reader. The spacing is passed through the standard
output and modified on the read image in ITK. This is all done in
python, but should be easily reproduced in C++ in you don't want to
use WrapITK.

   http://mima2.jouy.inra.fr/darcs/contrib-itk/bioformats/

It works very well here for both .lsm and .zvi files.

Regards,

Gaëtan