[Insight-users] Smoothing an image by a sliding ball or paraboloid.

Roman Grothausmann roman.grothausmann at helmholtz-berlin.de
Thu Apr 22 05:30:58 EDT 2010

Dear mailing list members,

To prevent a gradient decent filter from stopping at an insignificant
local minimum I'd like a ball of some radius to roll over the intensity
profile of an image. The result I'm interested in is the trace of the
ball (or paraboloid) centre while the ball is rolling.
I think this is equivalent to smoothing the image with such a rolling
ball filter as this ImageJ filter:

http://rsbweb.nih.gov/ij/docs/menus/process.html#background

And then tracing the gradient decent as is done in the Random access
iteration example in the user guide.

So I wonder now is there a filter in ITK for image smoothing that works
by simulating a sliding ball or paraboloid like the imageJ filter?

Any help is very much appreciated
Roman

--
Roman Grothausmann

Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin für Materialien und Energie GmbH
Bereich Funktionale Materialien
Institut für angewandte Materialforschung
Hahn-Meitner-Platz 1
D-14109 Berlin

Tel.: +49-(0)30-8062-2816
Fax.: +49-(0)30-8062-3059

Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. mult. Joachim Treusch
Stellvertretende Vorsitzende: Dr. Beatrix Vierkorn-Rudolph
Geschäftsführer: Prof. Dr. Anke Rita Kaysser-Pyzalla, Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c.
Wolfgang Eberhardt, Dr. Ulrich Breuer
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Berlin
Handelsregister: AG Charlottenburg, 89 HRB 5583