[Insight-users] OPEN ACCESS: ACM Elections

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Fri Apr 9 15:50:11 EDT 2010

From

http://www.realtimerendering.com/blog/acm-siggraph-2010-election/

<quote>

For this SIGGRAPH election I was happy to see that James O’Brien is on
the slate. In the past James has worked to retain the rights to his
own images, so he’s aware of the issues. In his election statement he
writes:

"The ACM Digital Library has been a great success, but the move to
digital publishing has created conflicts between ACM and member
interests. ACM and SIGGRAPH are fundamentally member service
organizations and I believe that through thoughtful and progressive
copyright policies we can better align organization and member needs.
Successful copyright policy has to work across formats, and SIGGRAPH
is unique among ACM SIGs in that member-generated content spans a
diverse range encompassing text, images, and video. Other
organizations have embraced Open Access initiatives, but SIGGRAPH and
ACM should be leading the way in this area."

He has my vote. He’s also the only candidate who addresses this area
of concern, and in a thoughtful and professional manner. If you’re a
SIGGRAPH member, I hope you’ll take the time this year to read over
the statements, figure out your login ID and user number, and then go
vote.

</quote>