[Insight-users] Insight Journal display "Promoted to ITK" more prominently

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Mon Sep 21 12:23:26 EDT 2009

Hi David,

This is a great suggestion.

We have to look into what's the best way to implement it,
but I see your point that readers (and authors) should be
able to know when a particular paper has been moved to
ITK (Code/Review).

I would still encourage reviews on papers, even though
they have been moved to Insight/Code/Review. The caveat,
is of course, as you pointed out, to let reviewers know that
they should produce their comments based on the code
currently in Code/Review, as opposed to the code that is
still posted in the Insight Journal.

It is common for the code to go through extensive changes
as part of the process of moving it from the Insight Journal
into the Insight/Code/Review directory.

All this is because in the Insight Journal we have removed
the concept of "Acceptance". The need for accepting a paper
is an artificial constraint, that is a remanent of the archaic
practice of publishing articles in physical paper.

"Accepting" a paper is no longer necessary in the Electronic
Age. There is no reason why people couldn't continue sharing
opinions an providing feedback on a paper for an indefinite
time. Publishing should be just as dynamic as coding, and as
dynamic as the progress in the field.  This is also the reason
why we welcome and encourage authors to post revisions of
their papers in response to feedback from the community, as
well as to reflect fixes and improvements that they may have
found on their own.

BTW: Posting suggestion about the Insight Journal to this
list is welcome and encourage.
Please keep the good ideas coming !