[Insight-users] Behavior of FastMarchingImageFilter

Amardeep Singh amar.singh at gmx.de
Fri May 8 07:28:28 EDT 2009

Hello everybody:
Dear Dan:

Thank you very much for your help!

I have attached some sample code and a binary image of a circle for testing.
The program can be called like the following:
fast_marching_itk_mailing_list ./circle.nii.gz
./fast_marching_output.nii.gz 200

The last number is the stopping value which I usually set to large
values. I use
the fast marching filter in this example with a constant speed of 1 so
that the result should be some kind of a distance map.

Certainly, one important point is my calculation of the alive and trial
points. All the points of the circle that have a background voxel within
their
6-neighborhood are considered trial points (so the last layer around the
circle becomes a layer of trial points). All other points of the circle
are alive points.
I have attached a screenshot of the 0 isoline of the result (the
complete output image was too large for the mailing list,
unfortunately). When you look at it, you can see the jagged edge again.
But still: Shouldn't it propagate evenly from the trial points?
The intialization (0 isoline of the result) looks jagged already.

Concerning my previous snapshot:
The output image was of type float. Just for the snapshopt, I mapped all
values > 0 to 1 in order to visualize the jagged edge.

Best regards
Amar