[Insight-users] Fast convolution implementation?

svoboda at fi.muni.cz svoboda at fi.muni.cz
Fri Jul 24 10:12:41 EDT 2009

Hi,

I'm a newbie in using ITK and I'd like to ask for help. I'd like to
implement fast (efficient) convolution of two large 3D images. I thought I
could use "itkConvolutionImageFilter" class but I found out that it does
not use FFT, i.e. it performs the naive convolution algorithm using
neighbourhood, which is quite slow. Am I right?

If so, I should probably use convolution theorem, i.e. apply FFT to the
input image and also to the kernel, them multiply the results and
subsequently apply inverse FFT. Is such a code (written in ITK) available
somewhere? Thanks a lot!

With regards
David