[Insight-users] how to create simplex mesh from binary data

Karthik Krishnan karthik.krishnan at kitware.com
Mon Jan 19 10:30:33 EST 2009

You might also consider taking the mesh to VTK land
with itk::MeshToVTKPolyData, and then decimating it
with one of the many topology preserving decimation
filters in VTK that work on triangle meshes.

There's
  vtkDecimate
  vtkDecimatePro
  vtkQuadricClustering
  vtkQuadricDecimation

Each have their own definition of the error metric, which
they try to minimize. None of those is based on a distance
between vertices though.

You can then bring the resulting mesh back from VTK to
ITK. However, at this point, your mesh is no longer
guaranteed to be a simplex mesh. So as a final step, you
can apply the TriangleMeshToSimplexMeshFilter.

HTH
--
Karthik Krishnan
R&D Engineer,