[Insight-users] How to read a DICOM volume in its native type?

Todd Jensen todd.jensen at ieee.org
Thu Jan 8 17:14:34 EST 2009

>It is more on the component type that I am concern. Some of my images
>are quite big. Some are stored as float, some as bytes. I do not want
>to load it as float if all I need is a byte per scalar.

Before you load the entire set of files, just read the first as a float (or any type) 2D image. Get the type from that and use it to instantiate a reader for the full set of files. While this doesn't avoid having to read data twice, you'll only temporarily need memory for just one slice/frame.

Todd Jensen