[Insight-users] Getting image intensity of DICOM image

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Mon Dec 21 18:54:50 EST 2009

Hi Pooja,

I assume that you are referring to getting access
to the pixel values of DICOM image.

If so,
you simply need to use the example:

    Insight/Examples/IO/
        DicomSeriesReadImageWrite2.cxx

and from the reader you can get the image as:

    ImageType::ConstPointer image = reader->GetOutput();

then,
from the image you can get the pixel buffer
directly as:

         image->GetBufferPointer();

If you are planning on processing the data from the
pixel values, you may want to use Iterators instead.

You will find very useful to read the ITK Software Guide.

    http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf

in particular

A) The Image Section of the
     Data Representation Chapter

B) The Chapter "Reading and Writing Images

and

C) The "Image Iterators" Chapter.