[Insight-users] Problems building itk under MinGW

URI zallen at wheelinghospital.com
Wed Dec 9 04:00:08 EST 2009

I found what appears to be the solution, I will post it here just in case
this helps anyone else.

Apparently I was getting an error "couldn't reserve space for cygwin's heap"
both while installing Msys and while trying to run it (it would appear in
that window that would pop up and disappear right away - I just ran it again
and again and read one word each time before I figured out what it was
saying).  Googling this error resulted in a huge amount of hits with all
sorts of solutions, ranging from disabling Windows Defender and/or all
antivirus software to disabling Data Execution Prevention to making sure
that I didn't have a CygWin environment variable defined (which I didn't -
I've never even installed CygWin).

Finally I found this site:
http://www.eoinmurphy.org/blog/2008/07/09/setting-up-mingw-and-msys/

Under the "Troubleshooting" section is where I found the answer, which is to
replace C:\msys\1.0\bin\msys-1.0.dll with the one found here:
http://www.eoinmurphy.org/stuff/msys-rebased.zip

Once I replaced this I am able to run msys.bat and the window opens normally
(and I have both Windows Defender and my antivirus program running, as well
as DEP enabled, so there's no need to modify any of those things).

Ok, what's the next step?

I installed msys and mingw on two machines a couple of years ago. I
don't recall any editing of files being required.

Maybe someone else can share their experience. You must get by this
step 1 before we can proceed.

Bill