[Insight-users] (no subject)

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Tue Dec 8 08:12:01 EST 2009

Hi URI,

Please see comments interleaved with you email below.

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 12:13 AM, URI <zallen at wheelinghospital.com> wrote:

> Luis-
>
> I don't seem to be having any luck with either of these options.  When I try
> option 1 I type "which cmake" in my terminal window I get the error "'which
> is not a recognized command".

This means that you don't have cmake installed in MinGW.
(and that's fine).

> When I try option 2 I get stuck on step d).  I think I just don't understand
> this step.  There is no directory called "cmakesrc" in the source code,
> there is a directory called "Source" but even in this directory there is no
> executable called "configure".

The directory "cmakesrc" was referring to the directory where you
expand the source code of CMake. This was under the assumption
that you went to the CMake web site and downloaded the source
code of CMake, in the form of a .zip file, or a .tar.gz file, or through
a CVS checkout. There is, of course, no directory with the exact
name "cmakesrc", we are simply referring to where you decompressed
the source code.

> I'm not sure what ncurses is or how to install it so that I can use ccmake,
> or what ccmake is even supposed to do.  I'm really lost here.

You would have to do this through the MinGW installation....
but
it may not be a good way to proceed in your case.

Note that Bill Loresen has reported that (contrary to what I thought),
you can indeed use the Windows CMake in order to configure
ITK for MinGW.  Have you the email that he posted to you in
the ITK users mailing list ?

> Maybe there is an easier way to tackle this problem.  It seems from your
> email that the difficulty arises because I am trying to use MinGW.  Is there
> some other compiler that I could use that would allow me to simply follow
> the instructions as they are written in the ITK Software Guide
> (http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf) or the Getting Started pdf that
> you linked to?  It seems from those documents that this should be as simple
> as specifying the source and build directories and hitting "Configure".

Well, it all depends on what your final purpose is...

but you can certainly use any of the following:

* Visual Studio 6.0, 7.0, 7.1, 8.0, 9.0
* Borland 5.5
* Intel Compiler
* and Gcc from Cygwin or MinGW

For all these compilers we have Nightly builds
in the Dashboard:
http://public.kitware.com/dashboard.php?name=itk

Please reply to Bill's email in the mailing list
and provide detailed information on what
Generator you are using when running
the Windows CMake.