[Insight-users] anisotropic diffusion or Discrete gaussian

Aviv Hurvitz aviv.hurvitz at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 06:31:02 EDT 2008

Hi,

If your goal is to compute the gradient image, the standard thing to do is
to first smooth with a Gaussian (a real Gaussian, not diffusion). This is
because the derivative operator itself outputs the slope of the curve
between neighboring pixels, so if you've got any kind of noise in the image,
it will magnify it in the output. When you smooth the image, it suppresses
the noise.

Anyway, that's the text-book approach. Anisotropic smoothing might work
better in some applications, but I don't know if it's ever been used to
compute the gradient.

BTW, note that GradientRecursiveGaussianImageFilter will smooth the image
and then take the gradient for you in one step, so that can be convenient.

- Aviv