[Insight-users] 3D Island removal filters

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Wed Dec 10 14:56:02 EST 2008

Hi Raghu,

Thanks for posting this additional information.
It help us a lot to understand the problem that you are trying to solve.

In your block diagram, after binary thresholding, you should try any
of the following:

A) VotingBinaryIterativeHoleFillingImageFilter
http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1VotingBinaryIterativeHoleFillingImageFilter.html

B) BinaryMedianImageFilter (several iterations)
http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1BinaryMedianImageFilter.html

C) Morphological filters such as Openning and Closening.

Given that your image, at that point, is binary, there is no reason
to think that the filters above will have any problem removing debris.

Note as well, that since you are using the Connected component filter
and selecting the K largest object, then you should have a island
problem at all.

The rendering that you posted:
Was it generated from the binary thresholded image ?
or from the image of K largest components ?