[Insight-users] Flexible smoothing filter, does it really exist?

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Wed Dec 10 14:17:14 EST 2008

Hi John,

The closest thing you will find is the convolution filter...

But is not presented quite the way you are asking in this email.

Please note that by design, something like a "Swiss-Army-Knife"
filter is a very undesirable thing to have in a software implementation.

Such a filter will become a nest of bugs,
and a shame of code coverage.

In ITK you will find families of filters, that have a similar API.

You may find interesting, however, to look at the implementation
of the WindowedSincInterpolator in Insight/Code/Common

Where you will find implementations of the basic smoothing windows.

  * \class CosineWindowFunction
  * \class HammingWindowFunction
  * \class WelchWindowFunction
  * \class LanczosWindowFunction
  * \class BlackmanWindowFunction

You may also find interesting to look a the recent contribution of
Kernel filters in the Code/Review directory.

These filters are described in the Insight Journal paper:

                http://hdl.handle.net/1926/555

They will provide a good framework for implementing this family
of smoothing filter.