[Insight-users] Problem related to the newly submited:Implementationof a 3D thinning algorithm

Xavier Mellado Esteban xavier.mellado at upf.edu
Fri Oct 26 04:15:36 EDT 2007

   Dear Flo:

   Perhaps you would try our medial curve extraction implementation
submitted to ITK some time ago. Look at the references to see if it
should match your needs.

                 Best regards:
                                       Xavi

   PS: We recently discovered that it is not completely working, in few
cases it fails to extract medial curve (output is not a medial curve).
As soon as we find the error we will update the code. If you have
experience and time, you may want to look at the code, I think it is
quite "clean" and "clear", so it will not be difficult try to fix it.

Flo escribió:
> Dear all:
>
> I tried to use the newly submitted Implementation of a 3D thinning
> algorithm. However, using Colon images, I have wrong results.
> A bad behavior is illustrated here:
> http://florent.chandelier.free.fr/ITK/Thinning_3D_Colon_bad.bmp
> A good behavior is illustrated here:
> http://florent.chandelier.free.fr/ITK/Thinning_3D_Colon_good.bmp
> These are obtained on the same object but at different locations.
>
> As you can see, some portion of the skeleton are OK but some others
> are really messy (Zoomed Images). Indeed, I have no holes in my object
> but I end up with loops in the skeleton which thus modifies the Euler
> number.
>
> On a different note, I did myself work on Skeletonization during my
> PhD and *IF* I remember well, lee's paper (the referenced one) is not
> an exact method as pointed out by other papers (cf Pudney, 1997 I
> think. This is due to the cycle process while looking for the
> neighborhood. There is no unique cycle in 3D to go through the
> neighborhood as compared to the 2D case where there is a unique cycle
> - clock and counter-clockwise end up being the same.)
>
> This is a great effort to implement a 3D skeletonization process for
> ITK. Congrats to the ppl doing this. My personal view, and maybe a
> future contribution, would be to spend more time implementing the
> method described by Pudney, 1997 as it allows for the discrimination
> of every skeleton type (Exact medial surface, medial trunk and medial
> axis).
>
> I'm sorry to mail this to the news group but I do not know how the
> reviewing process works.
>
> regards,
>
> flo.

Xavier Mellado Esteban