[Insight-users] Problem with SignedMaurerDistanceMapImageFilter

Andriy Fedorov fedorov at bwh.harvard.edu
Fri Oct 12 11:11:42 EDT 2007

Hi, Nick,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

No I have not figured this out.

My assumption is, that I should be able to get all the limitations and
all the instructions on how to use the filter from the Doxygen. I cite
it here: "Set/GetBackgroundValue specifies the background [...], other
than that the usage is completely analogous to the
itkDanielssonDistanceImageFilterClass except is does not return the
Voronoi map [...]"
(http://www.itk.org/Doxygen/html/classSignedMaurerDistanceMapImageFilter.html)
Danielsson works just fine for the same data where Maurer fails!

I did not spend a lot of time trying to figure it out, because I
thought that whenever the filter behavior is different from whatever
is written in the documentation - this should be a bug.

My opinion is that either Maurer filter should be updated so that it
doesn't fail for arbitrary input OR the documentation should be
updated to reflect its limitations.

I hope ITK developers can add more clarity to this issue.

Thanks,
Andriy Fedorov