[Insight-users] question about adding a user-defined transformation (for registration)

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Thu Oct 11 09:26:17 EDT 2007

Hi Dan,

      Welcome to ITK !

--

If you are asking for the procedure for contributing new
classes to ITK, please read the following Wiki page:
http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK_Procedure_for_Contributing_New_Classes_and_Algorithms

If you are asking about how to write your own customized
Transform, then the easy way is indeed to start by following
the model of the Translation transform and to only implement
the TransformPoint() method.

At that level you will be able to use the Transform with optimizers
that do not require Derivatives of the CostFunction (Image Metric).
(for example OnePlusOneEvolutionaryOptimizer and AmoebaOptimizer).

Once you get that to work, you can add the GetJacobian() method.
That method will make possible for your Transform to be used with
optimizers that require cost function derivatives.

Please let us know if you run into specific problems
when writing your new Transform.