[Insight-users] Artificial memory limit on ITK?

Mark Wyszomierski markww at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 12:35:33 EDT 2007

Hi,

I'm using itkResampleImage in a multithreaded environment in win32. My
process at some point uses 902mb of memory - then each thread does a
resample piece like:

void ThreadFunction()
{
    try {
        itkResampleImage::Update();
    }
}

The first thread that calls itkResampleImage::Update() always fails
and the caught exception just says something along the lines of "error
allocating image memory". It actually fails allocating the internal
high resolution image buffer which is a little over 80 mb.

This thread then fails and releases its memory down to about 700mb,
and all other threads that call this same function process just fine!

Is there some internal memory cap of 1.0gb per process for
itkResampleImage or something like that? I can't figure why I keep
getting this error - the process should be able to allocate up to 2 gb
of memory if necessary.

Thanks for any ideas,
Mark