[Insight-users] which registration method do you recommend

Alireza Salamy alireza_sal2000 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 27 11:15:34 EST 2007

Hi  all Insight users,
  I am working on the project which is displaying of MR images in the operation room by means of Mixed reality for future use in neurosurgical operation rooms.this involves fusion of optical images from a web camera with preoperatively acquired MRI images.the geometrical correspondence between optical and MRI images is to be carried out in two steps:1-initial registration of MRI and physical reality.2-real-time tracking to compensate for motion of the camera relative to the MRI image.my duty deals with the first problem.
  I construct a phantom that is visible both in MRI images and optical images.this is used together with a bitting fixation device to achieve a reproducible position relative to the skull.It contain at least 3 points identifiable in MRI images,e.g.containing a lipid with characteristic MRI signal,as well as a structure easily recognized in the optical image,e.g a simple geometrical pattern in Black and White.
  It would be great if you recommend me an algorithm for registration between the phantom that I made and physical reality,finding the geometrical relationship(transformation matrix) between the volunteer 's head and the phantom.this involves identifying the MRI-visible points in the phantom and using the known geometric relationship between these and the optical pattern.
  thank you very much for your help.
  Alireza