[Insight-users] Can 1 image source drive two pipelines safely?

Steve M. Robbins steve at sumost.ca
Thu Jun 21 13:28:59 EDT 2007

Hi,

Imagine I have an image, A, read in via ITK's ImageIO system, that is
connected to both an imaging pipeline (e.g. ImageReslice and a VTK
pipeline ending with ImageViewer2) and to an ITK registration
pipeline.

Suppose the registration is kicked off in its own thread.

My goal is to allow the user to continue to view A (stack through A,
do window levelling, pan/zoom, etc) while the registration proceeds.

Is this kind of pipeline thread safe?  Is access to the itk::Image
holding A serialized?  Or is it safe as long as A is unchanged?  Does
it matter what kind of iterators are used on A by the downstream
filters?  Any other caveats?

Thanks,
-Steve