[Insight-users] Wrong NIFTI orientation after conversion from DICOM

Martin Kavec kavec at messi.uku.fi
Mon Feb 5 14:57:56 EST 2007

Thanks a lot for confirmation Mathieu,

should I file a (major) feature request, something like support the enhanced
MR? :)
I'll probably try to "hack" my local ITK to be able to use the MRe. I work
only on these images.

Martin

On Monday 05 February 2007 20:47, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
> [Sorry for top posting]
>
> Hi Martin,
>
>    Yes your conclusion is correct. GDCM does not support the new
> Enhanced MR Image IOD. Looking at the tags manually in the DICOM header
>
> I can see that the orientation is in fact:
> | D 0020|0037 [DS] [Image Orientation (Patient)]
>
> [0.01604138687252\0.99942564964294\-0.0298495516180\0.00604549376294\-0.029
>9497954547\-0.9995331168174 ]
>
> Could you please try to set the orientation manually on the itk::Image
> and try again ?
>
> Thanks
> Mathieu
>
> BTW the pixel spacing is:
> | D 0028|0030 [DS]
>
> [Pixel Spacing] [0.83333331346511\0.83333331346511 ]
>
> Martin Kavec wrote:
> > I think the problem here could rather be in DICOM IO that in the NIFTI.
> > The problematic sagittal image is in an enhanced DICOM format, which is
> > all the slices in a single file, while the axial is in traditional
> > single-slice/file format. Can anybody comment on, whether GDCM supports
> > enhanced DICOM.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Martin
> >
> > On Wednesday 31 January 2007 11:01, Martin Kavec wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I get incorrect NIFTI image orientation when I convert it from the
> >> SAGITTAL dicom. For AXIAL dicom, the NIFTI is OK. Could this be a bug in
> >> the nifti IO? I have uploaded sample images (anonimized dicom and
> >> converted nifti) to
> >>
> >> http://www.uku.fi/~kavec/nifti.tar.bz2
> >>
> >> The package also includes a code for conversion application I used,
> >> which is basically example from the ITK distribution, which in addition
> >> handles multiframe (enhanced) dicom images.
> >>
> >> I would appreciate, if some could have a look (comment) at the issue.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> Martin

Senior Research Associate in Neuroradiology
MRI Unit of the Department of Radiology
Erasme Hospital
Lennik Street 808
B-1070 Brussels