[Insight-users] Re: NIH Open Access Mandate : How to Comply

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Mon Dec 31 13:53:18 EST 2007

A colleague of mine raised concerns about how he can publish
papers in Closed-Access Journals (that enforce copyright
restrictions on papers) and still comply with this new
US Federal Law.

The answer is simple:

       *DO NOT TRANSFER YOUR COPYRIGHT TO THE JOURNAL*
         *WHEN YOU SUBMIT A PAPER FOR PUBLICATION*

Once you transfer your copyright, you *are not* the owner of
the paper, and you can no longer control its distribution.

If you retain your copyright, then you are entitled to decide
how the paper can be redistributed. That includes having the
right of sending your paper to any *public database*.

Here are two specific options to achieve this:

1) Lobby the Journals to convince them to create Open Access
    options for authors.

    Elsevier journals already do this.
    http://www.libraryjournal.com/article/CA6349045.html

    As cheap labor for all Journals, and as customers/consumers
    of the Journals we have a word to say on how we want the
    distribution of scientific literature to be done. It is
    simply: Free Market economy logic.

    We are cheap labor for Journals when we give away for free
    the copyright of our papers (you wouldn't do that if you
    where writing Harry Potter, would you ?). We are cheap labor
    for Journals when we volunteer to review papers for them for
    free, or when we volunteer to be associate editors for free.

2) Do not transfer your copyright to closed-access Journals
    when your papers are accepted for publication. Instead,
    assign a *license* to the Journal (and all the readers)
    to allow them to publish *your* papers without infringing
    on *your* copyright.

    An example of such license is the
    Creative Commons by Attribution license:

        http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/

    This license is already used by many of the Open Access
    Journals, such as the BioMedCentral and PLoS Journals.

    If this offer is not good enough for the close-access
    Journal that you want to publish in, then that Journal
    is *not good enough for you*, or for all the tax payers
    who indirectly funded your research through NIH, and
    therefore you should take your papers elsewhere.

    There are 3,031 Open Access Journals:

                  http://www.doaj.org/

    and have published 166,781 articles so far.

    Many of these journals have been endorsed by Nobel
    Laureates. After all, they are the ones who lobbied
    the US Congress to make laws about Open Access:

        http://www.taxpayeraccess.org/bof.html

-------------

All that being said,

    Let's just get out of the medieval practices of publishing
    scientific research like if they were romantic novels.

    The WEB was invented for sharing scientific information.
    It is time it serves its original purpose.

    Start the new year with an open mind and engage in
    Scientific Publishing 2.0:

    Submit to PLoS ONE:

             http://www.plosone.org

    * Review for PLoS ONE,
http://www.plosone.org/static/commentGuidelines.action#discussion

    * Blog in PLoS ONE about papers.
http://www.plosone.org/static/commentGuidelines.action#annotation

    * Cite papers from PLoS ONE

    * Reuse material from PLoS ONE
      (Yes!, you can do this without becoming a criminal
       copyright infringer)

   You will find the feeling strange...

   It's something you have not experienced for a long time
   with any Journal:

                 It is called Freedom !

   Happy New Year,

      Luis