[Insight-users] Re: Sub-volumes registration

Torsten Rohlfing torsten at synapse.sri.com
Mon Dec 3 13:17:06 EST 2007

Hi Nic --

Have you considered registering downsampled (potentially smoothed)
versions of your image stacks? I find it highly unlikely that 6, 9, or
even 12 degrees of freedom in a rigid (or affine) registration can make
full use of the type of image resolution that you are talking about. In
other words -- a rigid registration problem is so highly constrained
that you should not need anywhere near 2k times 2k times 120 pixels to
get it "right". (Chances are, it may even be harder to register using
the full image resolution because the excessively fine image texture may
create many local minima in the registration cost function).

So my suggestion would be to register, say, downsampled 512x512x120
stacks and then apply the resulting transformation to the
full-resolution image(s).

Best,
  Torsten

--
Torsten Rohlfing, PhD          SRI International, Neuroscience Program
 Research Scientist             333 Ravenswood Ave, Menlo Park, CA 94025

     "Though this be madness, yet there is a method in't"