[Insight-users] non-gradient base optimizer for 3D registration with versors

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sun Apr 15 16:31:18 EDT 2007

Hi Moti,

 From your description is seems that you have not initialized
the Center of rotation of the Transform.

Here are several thing that you may want to try:

1) Initialize the transform using the Centered Transform Initializer
    with the Geometry option ON.

    Please look at the ITK Software Guide for details on how to use
    this initializer. There is also a discussion on the importance
    of setting the Transform center of rotation when performing
    image registration.

          http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf

2) Do you have a command observer connected to the optimizer ?
    If so, please post to the list the output of the observer.
    (e.g. metric values and transform parameters at every iteration.

3) Please post to the list the characteristics of your images

      a) origin in mm
      b) spacing in mm
      c) number of pixels along every dimension

The Powell optimizer is "usable" with a VersorTransform.
It is not the ideal setting, but given a judicious choice
of parameters it should be able to optimize this transform.