[Insight-users] mesh creation from segmented image

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Fri Apr 6 10:04:41 EDT 2007

Hi Kegang,

Yes, vtkContour is an appropriate filter for this task.

This will give you conformal meshes as long as your object
is completely contained inside the extent of the image.

If that is not the case, you may have to use the Boundary
filter in order to add a faces around the volume.

There is family of classes that have been recently contributed
to ITK for representing Meshes using the QuadEdge structure.
These classes will, at some point, be suitable for ensuring
that your mesh is conformal. However, they are still being
refactored to make it match the standards of the toolkit.

At this point your best option is to save the mesh that the
vtkContour produces, as a vtkPolyData, then load it into ParaView
and look at the boundaries of the Mesh. If your surface is completely
closed, there shouldn't be any boundaries.

You can download ParaView from

    www.paraview.org