[Insight-users] transform DICOM Imagetype

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sun Sep 24 10:06:01 EDT 2006

Hi 肖 潇,

Thanks for letting us know that you found the solution for your problem.

---

About your new problem,

I'm not sure I understand your description. It seems to be incomplete.

Here is what I can follow:

1) The case that works:
1.1) You read a DICOM image that contains a single slice.
1.2) The pixel type is "signed short"
1.3) In this case you can convert it fine to VTK.

2) The case that does not work:
2.1) You insert a CastImage filter to convert the signed short
     image into an unsigned short image.
2.2) This doesn't convert well to VTK.

Answer HERE: casting from signed short to unsigned short is a
     bad idea because the casting does not rescale the values.
     The negative values will be translated into very high values.
     For example

                 -1   ===>    65535
                 -2   ===>    65534
                 -3   ===>    65533
                 -4   ===>    65532

     Since your image actually contains negative values, you
     are probably seeing now an unsigned short image with
     very high values and very low values, that looks like
     a binary image to the naked eye.

Don't use the Cast Filter. The filter that you should use is
the RescaleIntensityFilter or the IntensityWindowingImageFilter.

3) You say that you

     "...cannot adopt RescaleIntensityImageFilter
         due to some reason..."

   Well, you may want to share with us the reason....

   Or if you are getting, compilation errors, you probably
   should share with the list the *exact error messages* that
   you are getting.

   Otherwise it is very hard for us to help you in this matter.