[Insight-users] Re: Re: 2D boundary tracking

Zachary Pincus zpincus at stanford.edu
Fri Sep 15 21:08:06 EDT 2006

> One more detail. From the first few web pages I found describing
> the algorithm, it seems the output contour is not a path
> (just a collection of possibly non-adjacent little segments).
> From your documentation I gather that the output is a directed
> path, with multiple components if need be, and for that you have
> to go to great extents, and use the two hash tables, to keep
> track what piece goes where. Is that correct? That's pretty clever.

Correct. The output is a set of directed paths, each comprising a set
of correctly-linked segments. (It's easy to figure out the correct
direction of the segments by keeping the low side of the image
function always on the left or the right; then all that's needed is
to properly link up segments with the same beginning or ending
points.) Some of the paths might be open if they intersect the image
edge; otherwise they will be closed.

Zach