[Insight-users] Getting at private dicom tags

Kris Thielemans kris.thielemans at csc.mrc.ac.uk
Fri Sep 15 13:07:24 EDT 2006

Hi

I need to get the value of a private tag (frame number in GE gated PET
data). I know for sure that the tag is there (for instance using dcmtk's
dcmdump).

I've modified the example IO/DicomSeriesReadPrintTags to what's happening,
e.g. I've added

  nameGenerator->SetLoadPrivateTags ( true );
  nameGenerator->AddSeriesRestriction("0009|10D8" );

This works in the sense that the value of the frame_number now gets added to
the 'seriesIdentifier'. However, when I try to get at its value using

  typedef itk::MetaDataDictionary   DictionaryType;
  const  DictionaryType & dictionary = dicomIO->GetMetaDataDictionary();
  DictionaryType::ConstIterator tagItr = dictionary.Find( "0009|10D8" );

this function tells me that it cannot find the tag. (It can find some e.g.
"0020|0011" SeriesNumber or patientName.

Indeed, the output of (my modified) DicomSeriesReadPrintTags shows no
private tags.

Is there a way around this?

Thanks

Kris Thielemans
Hammersmith Imanet, part of GE Healthcare