[Insight-users] Re: How to find the reference paper, implemented byITK?

BATY Xavier xavier.baty at univ-angers.fr
Tue Oct 17 04:12:43 EDT 2006

Hello all,

I have a question linked to the quoted problem below.

The software guide quoted those 3 papers as reference for
BSplineDeformableTransform

D. Rueckert, L. I. Sonoda, C. Hayes, D. L. G. Hill, M. O. Leach, and D.
J. Hawkes. Nonrigid
registration using free-form deformations: Application to breast mr
images. IEEE
Transaction on Medical Imaging, 18(8):712–721, 1999.

D. Mattes, D. R. Haynor, H. Vesselle, T. K. Lewellen, and W. Eubank.
Non-rigid multimodality
image registration. In Medical Imaging 2001: Image Processing, pages 1609–
1620, 2001.

D. Mattes, D. R. Haynor, H. Vesselle, T. K. Lewellen, and W. Eubank.
PET-CT image
registration in the chest using free-form deformations. IEEE Trans. on
Medical Imaging,
22(1):120–128, January 2003.

The 1999 paper describes a Bsplinetransform based on [1] and [2]
which uses 4 differents splines.

But the 2003 paper describes a transform based on [3] which uses a
spline kernel to compute the deformation.

Which one of thoses 2 ways of computing BSpline transform is implemented
in ITK??

Xavier

[1] S. Lee, G. Wolberg, K.-Y. Chwa, and S. Y. Shin, “Image metamorphosis
with scattered feature constraints,” IEEE Trans. Visualization Comput.
Graph., vol. 2, pp. 337–354, Oct. 1996.
[2] S. Lee, G. Wolberg, and S. Y. Shin, “Scattered data interpolation with
multilevel B-splines,” IEEE Trans. Visualization Comput. Graph., vol.
3, pp. 228–244, July 1997.
[3] P. Thevenaz and M. Unser, “Spline pyramids for inter-modal image
registration
using mutual information,” in Proc. SPIE, vol. 3169, 1997, pp.
236–247.