[Insight-users] Re: [CMake] Installed project with shared libs

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Thu Feb 23 19:54:01 EST 2006

Zachary Pincus wrote:
> Thanks everyone for your suggestions about how to deal with rpaths  (aka
> install names for OS X dylibs) and installed shared libraries.
>
> Option A is to disable the rpaths and make sure that (1) the  libraries
> are installed in a "standard" location, or (2) [DY] LD_LIBRARY_PATH is
> set to the installed location. This is possible in  any version of CMake
> with CMAKE_SKIP_RPATH.
>
> Option B is to link two libraries: one for the installed location and
> one for the build tree location. This is possible with CVS CMake,
> thanks to Brad's changes.
>
> My questions are now three:
>
> (1) Do you think that A or B is a better solution, in the unix-like  OS
> case?

Several Linux distributions frown upon use of RPATHs.  Option A is
probably better.

> (2) Do either of these solutions have equivalents on Windows  machines?
> Or is the dynamic linker there sufficiently different? If I  want to get
> something working cross-platform, it would be helpful to  know what to
> have to do.

On Windows the "right" thing to do is to install the DLLs in the same
directory as the executables.  Executables always look in their own
directory for the DLLs they need (also in PATH).

> (3) Does anyone know if ITK is moving toward a solution for the  problem
> of rpaths in installed shared libs? And if so, what is that  solution?

This should be brought up on the ITK developers list (along with
question 1).

-Brad