[Insight-users] Registration of two anisotropic volumes

Karthik Krishnan Karthik.Krishnan at kitware.com
Tue Feb 7 14:25:34 EST 2006

Yan Yang wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I am very interested in the underlying registration technique in ITK.
> I realize that ITK registration is done in physical coordinates, all
> the voxels in two datasets should be transformed to points in physical
> space before registration.
>
> 1. Generally the number of points in two datasets to be registered are
> different, are they resampled to the same number of points in ITK
> registration framework - is there any interpolated point
> involved during registration? If the two point datasets are in
> non-uniform grid, how to generate the joint histogram, for example the
> element h(i, j) in joint histogram represents the number of point
> pairs which have grey value of i in one dataset, and have grey value
> of j in the corresponding positions in the other dataset. My question
> is how to build the corresponding position if the points are on
> non-uniform grids.

Sure the metrics take that into account..
Take a look at the methods TransformIndexToPhysicalPoint and
TransformPhysicalPointToContinuousIndex in ImageBase.

they do something like

Iterate over every pixel in the image with an indexed iterator
{
   fixedImage->TransformIndexToPhysicalPoint( fixedImageIndex, inputPoint );
   transformedPoint  = transform->TransformPoint( inputPoint );
   movingImage->TransformPhysicalPointToContinuousIndex(
transformedPoint, MovingImageIndex );

   // Now you have the indices of the correspoinding pixel in the moving
image..

}

> 2. Since ITK take into account the voxel size, and use it to compute a
> scaling factor for transform, is this scaling factor reflected in the
> final transform matrix?

Scaling ?? The transform is in physical coordinates. (real world
coordinates).