[Insight-users] CableSwig and %rename or %extend

Zachary Pincus zpincus at stanford.edu
Fri Feb 3 19:13:22 EST 2006

Hello,

In trying to spruce up the ITK wrappers, Gaetan and I have repeatedly
run into the need to the swig directives like %rename and %extend to
(respectively) rename things like 'operator++' to valid names in the
target language and to add language-specific methods like '__str__'
to classes.

Despite the fact that the SWIG version from which CableSwig derives
supports these directives, it appears that CableSwig silently ignores
them. Is there any way to get CableSwig to work properly with these
directives? Failing that, could anyone tell me whether it would be
easy to modify CableSwig to support this?

Right now, we are "solving" this problem by having a list of patches
to make to ITK to get optimal behavior -- patches like manually
adding classes that just call the operators, for example. This is
clearly not the best solution.

Zach