[Insight-users] 3D image registration

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Thu Sep 15 21:55:45 EDT 2005

Hi Grace,

The reason why a Versor has only three components,
while a Quaternion has four, is that Quaternions
can describe rotations and scaling.

When you use quaternions for describing only rotations,
you must use unit quaternions.  A versor is simply a
unit quaternion.

So... when people talk about using Quaternions, they
usually mean (or think) of Versors, even though they
don't call them that way.

Versor is the original name the Hamilton used for this
concept when he introduced Quaternions in 1866.

You will find more information about Versors in the ITK
Software Guide

     http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf