[Insight-users] Who have experience using itkShapePriorSegmentationLevelSetImageFilter

Zachary Pincus zpincus at stanford.edu
Wed May 25 16:05:31 EDT 2005

I would suggest closely studying the example code for using the
ShapePriorSegmentationLevelSetImageFilter. You can find it in
Insight/Examples/Segmentation/
GeodesicActiveContourShapePriorLevelSetImageFilter.cxx.

This code is documented in the new Insight 2.0 manual (in beta
currently):
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/itk/ItkSoftwareGuide-2.0.0.pdf?
download
in the Level Set Segmentation section.

Finally, it is pretty important to understand precisely how the shape
model level set concept works. I strongly suggest reading Leventon's
original paper on the matter:
http://splweb.bwh.harvard.edu:8000/pages/papers/leventon/cvpr00/
cvpr00.pdf

Now to your questions:

> 1 What model should be TInputImage?

TInputImage is the type of the initial level set that you provide to
the filter. It would be worth familiarizing yourself with the general
way in which ITK level set filters work, by reading the appropriate
section of the manual.

> 2 What other parameters need to defined?

Quite a few. See the example code and the manual. You'll probably need
to use the PCAShapeModelEstimator class to estimate a shape model from
a set of distance maps. You'll need to use the signed distance map
filter to turn a set of binary shape masks into a these distance maps.
There's a lot of other stuff there too.

> 3 Is it nessary to connecting other filters as
> inputing like ThresholdLevelSetSegmentationFilter?

It depends on what you want to do! You will need to provide some
initial level set to the filter; where it comes from is your choice.

Good luck, and I'm happy to answer any specific questions you have once
you've gotten a chance to absorb Leventon's paper and the ITK manual
chapter on level sets!

Zach